Many adults think of dental braces as the domain of adolescents. Only teenagers get braces. It’s a rite of passage. I can’t have braces as an adult. As it turns out, you absolutely can have orthodontics as a grown-up. In fact, you’re in good company if you do – millions of adults are lining up to get better-looking, healthier smiles with braces. If you want straight teeth, the only question is: Should you get Invisalign or traditional braces?
Metal Braces Are Not the Only Option
When many people hear the word “braces,” they are reminded of the TV and movie characters with exaggerated dental hardware. They may be thrown back to junior high and the many faces sporting brackets and wires. But metal braces are not your only option for aligning your smile. In fact, no one really needs to see your braces at all.
Invisalign has become the most popular orthodontic option for adults because of its many benefits:
- Discreet: Invisalign trays are nearly invisible. They are incredibly thin and made of clear material and designed to fit snugly against your teeth so they are difficult to see. They don’t get in the way of your job, your social life, or your photos.
- Efficient: Most Invisalign treatments last an average of 12 months, depending on how much your teeth need to move and how dedicated you are to your treatment. This time commitment is significantly different than with metal braces, which can take about two years to complete.
- Comfortable: You can expect to feel some pressure from your Invisalign trays as you get used to them. They are, after all, shifting your tooth roots and crowns into new positions and that doesn’t come without a little discomfort. However, you are saved from the brackets and wires that are notorious for snagging cheeks, tongue, and lips. Invisalign aligners are smooth.
- Freeing: There are plenty of food restrictions with conventional braces. Invisalign, however, is removed for every meal and snack, so that means you can continue to eat the things you love. The only rule is to clean your teeth and trays before snapping them back together again.
Reasons to Align Your Teeth as an Adult
Your oral health has ongoing, daily needs. As an adult, you can experience more dental problems than you ever anticipated – and they could occur simply because your teeth are out of alignment. If you suffer from any of the following problems, braces or Invisalign could help:
- Recurring cavities: Misaligned teeth are harder to clean thoroughly. Even if you see your dentist every six months for a cleaning and exam, it’s still up to you to brush and floss daily. Teeth that are overlapping or simply aren’t straight are far more difficult to keep clean and cavities can be the result.
- TMJ problems: If you grind and clench your teeth or have problems with your TMJ, you can use a night guard to ward off oral health complications like worn enamel, gum recession, and headaches. Or, you can talk to an orthodontist about whether straightening your smile can ward off these issues permanently.
- Pain: Sometimes, crooked teeth are painful teeth. They smack into each other when you eat or speak. You suffer from pain because of misalignment of the jaw or teeth. Aligning your teeth can eliminate discomfort.
Find out if you’re a good candidate for Invisalign or tooth-colored ceramic braces. Contact Dr. Roberts & Dr. de Marsche at Lawrenceville Orthodontists in NJ, to schedule your appointment.